Friday, April 24, 2009

generic careers

OK.

So...when I was a little girl, every year in school we were asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. Here were the answers:

"A teacher!"

"A ballerina!"

"A mom!"

"A dentist!"

"A doctor!"

"A veterinarian!"

"An astronaut!"

"A hairstylist!"

"A farmer!"

And the list goes on.
Some of the kids were dreamers, yes, but the point here is this: they chose simple, straightforward career paths. what do teachers do? They teach. What do doctors do? They help sick people. (and other stuff but you know what I mean.) What do hairstylists do? They do hair. What do farmers do? They farm the land.

So now what do these kids do? It seems many people have some sort of vague name for what it is they do all day. "Oh I'm a marketing director." "I'm a human resources representative." "I'm a personal assistant." What exactly are these things? And what little kid would ever say "One day I'm going to be a human resources representative." Wtf?

No comments: